other things

Monday, February 15, 2010

On the road with a point-and-shoot.

I love road trips. I have spent many weeks on the road covering the entire western half of the US. My favorite part of a road trip is the rest stops.

First, rest stops are an avenue of escape from my four-wheeled prison. They also give me a chance to encounter the environment through which I travel. I love to get out of the car and smell the air and stretch my legs.

Rest stops are also unique. Some are just a couple of cinder-block buildings with a toilet that barely flushes and no paper towels (Wyoming, MT, ND). Others have full gift shops with hiking trails, overlooks, and ships reconstructed in the lobby. If you drive through South Dakota you will recognize the pictures below. Each rest stop has a tall, abstract, concrete teepee.

If you ever hit the road with me, especially in the west, I will have a road-trip story for every rest stop we pass.




No comments:

Post a Comment